Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why I Was Absent From School Today

It's Wednesday night. Dark. It's eight-thirty. Late.
Jessi, Janessa and I crowded in the backseat in that order. Sister Oyler sat in front of Jessie. We were on our way home from Young Women's, where I had played the piano quite beautifully. Turning on to Jessi's street and playing Truth, Truth or Truth, I heard Sister Oyler gasp.
You know how people say it all goes so slow, like a movie in slow motion? Seconds after I heard her gasp, I had been jerked forward. I heard the crash much later. The pain came even later than that.
The driver that had hit us going at fifty miles per hour, never slowing down. She had hit the car right where I was sitting. Totaled the car.
I was bawling. Tears came faster then my hands, which were reaching for my door. It wouldn't open. A man came to Sister Oyler and asked her to talk o the police on the phone, because he didn't know where we were. The police got there before I could even ask what was going on. A firefighter helped me out of the car and helped me to the side of the road, by Jessi, Sister Oyler, and Janessa. We all had mascara dripping down our faces.
People draped blankets across our backs.
They asked us questions like "Who's the president of the United States right now?" or "What's the date today?" Each question was answered correctly. They started to ask us what hurt. I said my head, neck, and lower back. They gave me a neck brace and duct-taped me to a stretcher. My Mom came right around then.
They shipped me off to the ER in the ambulance. Janessa (who was in the ambulance, too) held my hand as we cried and cried. They took our blood pressure and oxygen level while trying to make us laugh.
The ER was very interesting. The doctors were nice. Sister Oyler came in to the bed next to me, as Janessa was already on the other side. We got home at one in the morning.
They told me to wear a neck brace, so that's what this ugly thing around my neck is.
My new friendship bracelet is a hospital band.
Today, the phone was running off the hook. Thank you to everybody!
I went to Jessi's house with Janessa and we made cookie dough for Sister Oyler. Later, Jessi and I delivered them.
Gotta take a nap!
The Quote of Today today is a conversation between Janessa and I in the ambulance last night.

Quote of Today: [Janessa] "At least this is a good story to tell our kids someday."
[Lizzie] "If we live to have kids!"

1 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, Lizzie! I'm so glad you and the other girls are ok. That was a scary experience. I'm giving you a big hug right now....love ya!!