Saturday, October 3, 2009

MAJOR UPDATES: Our New Pet

Yo.

I know!
It happened!
We got a pet!
And he (we're just calling it a "he"- we're not quite sure) is the wimpiest thing ever!
I'll let you guess.
Hint No. 1: All of the movie make him look scary, but he's more scared than scary.
Hint No. 2: He bites, but it hurts a little worse than a bee sting. It's not poisonous.
Hint No. 3: He eats crickets.
Hint No. 4: You only have to clean the tank, like, every six months.
Hint No. 5: We named him Fang. DEAD GIVEAWAY!!!
Yes, I know. We got a pet tarantula. We did not spend money on him, we actually found him trying to climb up our house and we kept him.
He hasn't bit anyone, and he's afraid of everybody except for me.
And (almost) everybody except me is afraid of him.
If you are considering a pet tarantula, here are some things you should know about them.

  • They have three warnings before they eat you. 1) They back off. They normally look like they just woke up because they won't move. 2) They start to shed their hairs. This happened when Logan came over the other day. Good thing, because Logan was terrified and didn't want to hold him anyway. 3) They rear back on their hind legs and show their fangs. 4) They bite.
  • Their bite hurts a little worse than bee stings, and, unless you are allergic to bee stings (Esther's allergic to cockroaches and spiders- we'll see how this works out), it doesn't affect you. The venom is only meant to kill things smaller than the spider itself.
  • They are cannibals. Four tarantulas have been spotted on our street since we found ours last week, but we can't keep any of them because they will just eat each other.
  • They eat once or twice a week, but sometimes they'll go a whole month without eating and that's perfectly normal.
  • They don't need water, they just suck the liquid from their prey when they eat.
So... yeah. Fang is very sensitive to sound. You can't be loud around him.
Wanna see pictures?
Say yes!
Yes?
Okay.
:)This is what I looked like when we first took him out of the bucket. Now, I'm strangely okay with tarantula legs going across my hand.Eventually, I got Jack to do it, too.
Esther even got brave enough to do it! Wow!Dad.
Mom.That night cousins came over to see him, too. Here's Cole!Jessi with her totally forced smile. It feels really weird the first time!Bryce and Taylor came over to see it. They thought it was pretty cool (and NOT scary, right Bryce?) and held it without any hesitation.We're still working on Janessa and Logan. Fraidy Cats!

Quote of Today: Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies.

3 comments:

Stephen Bryce Johnson said...

The one thing the darkside has that the good guys don't have is cookies. (plus a free toaster oven with subscription)
Oh yes! I was terrified of the tarantula!
How come I can never see my comments on your blog. I posted 2 comments and I can't see them?

Lizzie said...

a) We also have Darth Vader. Hee, hee.
b) You didn't look like it. It was cool!
c) You probably did somthing wrong. Did you sign in and everything first?

Lizzie

Stephen Bryce Johnson said...

a)pretty sure. But it's ok. I basicially said in one of my comments that Scout camp isn't as fun as it looks, and that someone got in a big fist fight too. (shhhhh, don't tell anyone)
Also that I really wish I could go to that boating activity. I'm so glad that I'm gonna be a teacher and won't have to go to scout camp.

b) Ya I know. I was being sarcastic.

c) I have a quote of the day for you. Quote: "music is like candy, you throw away all the wrappers".