Friday, June 12, 2009

Sunday Talk

Fridays mean nothing during Summer!!!
Yo.
They really don't.
It's like, "I can't wait for Friday," all school year long, and then all Summer it's all, "What's the point of a Friday again?"
I feel all glum without anything to look forward to all week.
Maybe we just look forward to Wednesdays.
Happy Tuesday, everybody!
Jessi,
I don't know where else to write this, so I am going to write it here. I loved your music video! My favorite part is when you skip in. Sweet! You should so another one!
I'm back.
I'm just looking at pictures right now.
Like this one...

That was Matthew holding a chicken because (as a school field trip) he visited Hee Haw's and they were dared to catch a chicken. He was the only one to do it!
That's my boy!
Look at his happy little face!
Daddy and I went to Singin' in the Rain on Friday night. I had so much fun! For those of you who have seen either the movie or the musical, it is probably one of the best musicals I've ever seen. In the movie, my favorite character was Cosmo (duh- isn't he everybody's?), and in the play, Don was my favorite. They even had it rain! The people in the front row seats were given rain ponchos, but Don made it a priority to drench everybody else by kicking the rain up. I got wet!
My Dad and I also started this "top ten" thing. While we were waiting for the play to start, we
listed our top ten movies.

His:

  • Pride and Prejudice (A&E)
  • Return to Me
  • The Incredibles
  • The Sound of Music
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
  • Star Wars: a New Hope
  • The Bourne Identity
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Transformers
  • Batman Begins
Mine:

  • Stardust
  • What About Bob?
  • Bill and Ted's Awesome Adventure
  • IQ
  • Charly
  • Race to Witch Mountain
  • National Treasure
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Singin' in the Rain
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I gave a talk in church on Sunday and lived to tell the tale. I've copied and pasted it here (I hope you like it- sorry I had to go all "preachy" on you):

To start out my talk this morning, I would like to share with you a scripture from Doctrine and Covenants, section 134, verse five:
“We believe that all men are bound to sustain and uphold the respective [callings] in which they reside.”
Sustaining and supporting the bishop is very important and the church has emphasized it strongly.
Elder Boyd K. Packer said, “A man who says he will sustain the President of the Church or the General Authorities, but cannot sustain his own bishop is deceiving himself. The man who will not sustain the bishop of his ward and the president of his stake will not sustain the President of the Church.” Bishop Moll has been called of our Heavenly Father, and because of this, it is very important that we sustain and support him in his calling.
In my favorite hymn, Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the second verse says:
Praise to the Lord! Over all things he gloriously reigneth. Borne as on eagle wings, safely his saints he sustaineth. Hast thou not seen how all thou needest hath been granted in what he ordaineth?
He supports us through people like the bishop. He sees to our needs through Bishop Moll. Our bishop is an answer to our prayers. How many times has the bishop helped you?
Here is a list of ways that we can help the bishop fulfill his calling, and I’d like to share them with you:

  1. Accept and fulfill the callings that are given to us. A Bishop’s calling is a very heavy duty, and without the help of others, he would fall to pieces. It’s not because we think that the Bishop can’t handle it, it’s just that he needs support and help. When Christ walked the Earth, he called Apostles to help him and walk with him. He couldn't do it alone. It also for experience. Fulfilling your calling is good for you and your faith.
  2. Share our talents. Your talents help so much with your calling and duty in the world. It makes your job unique and it is the reason you have that calling at this time.
  3. Pay tithes and fast offerings. One of the many jobs of the Bishop is the Bishop’s store house, the money for which comes from our fast offerings.
  4. Be obedient to the counsel of our leaders. One of the most frustrating things in this world is to see people not take the good advice of their leaders. The Lord has called the Bishop for a reason. If you’re not going to listen to him, what are you going to get out of his time spent with you in this ward?
  5. Stay dedicated. If he asks you to do something, help him out, don’t just sit around. There is a reason he wants you to be in this position.

Another one of the responsibilities of the bishop is working with the Youth. While pondering a personal story that I should share for my talk today, I kept going back to the same stories- Girl’s camp. Some of the stories I could tell would give away camp secrets and I would be in trouble, so I’ll just tell a few that emphasize the bishop’s personality and humor.
Every year, the bishop gets to go and enjoy Girl’s camp with us. Last year, we had Stake Girl’s camp up at Mutual Dell, and there is a small lake there in which we get to canoe. When all of the girls got in the canoes (some of us tipped the canoes over instead), dived in to the water, and used the zipline, the bishop went fishing. One day, after a hot day at the lake, the bishop came back with a couple big fish. I was interested, and he ripped the fish right down the middle and dissected it for me right there, labeling all of the parts for me. The next day (at the same activity), he pointed to the water, and said, “Liz! It’s a water snake!” I yelled, “No way! Where?” to which he muttered, “Shoot! I got the wrong person.”

To close my talk today, I would like to share one more talk with you. Elder L. Tom Perry counsels us: “I promise you, my brothers and sisters, if we will sustain and support our bishops, learn to be concerned for their welfare, and pray for their success in all they have to do, it will bless our lives as we are placed under their leadership and have opportunity to follow their inspired direction, as they lead the wards of the Church.”

Yeah, me! I'm running out of Quotes of the Day, so if you have one, tell me! Today's is just right for my blog, right? Hasta luego!

Quote of Today: Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

2 comments:

Kurst said...

Lizzie you did great Sunday good job.

Lizzie said...

Thank you very much!
Love and hugs!
Lizzie