Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Debate

So.
Big news: today, in Speech and Debate, I debated this kid that is totally undefeated. We were just starting a new topic (gun control), and the odds were against me. 1) nobody wanted to be my partner, so I had to wait for Ryker (you may recognize him from the bus) because he was sick the days that we were researching online. Therefore, 2) he didn't have too much time to research and 3) I couldn't compare information with him (I had 42 pages. I'm so proud of myself). 4) We have to be able to support both sides, and then we do paper-scissors-rocks (as Mr. Stokoe says, except he's British and he has a cool accent to go along with it) to see what side we get. We lost and got the side that I didn't want: enforce gun control. It's the Second Amendment in the Constitution! I started my statement with this picture:



This picture is titled "Super Guns" and was taken in the Middle East, Iraq area. Did you know that this is only a very, very tiny fraction of the guns confiscated over there? And that the guns they have over there are nothing compared to all of the guns in America? This was my opening statement on "we should enforce gun control." And... wait for it... wait...
I won.

Yea, me! Yesterday, at Family Home Evening, Esther had us go around the family in a circle and say five things for which we are thankful. The Quote of Today is Matthew's response.

Quote of Today: I'm thankful for turkeys because you get to shoot 'em and kill 'em and eat 'em. I'm thankful for myself because I'm awesome, and I'm thankful for school and jobs because they're awesome, just not as awesome as me. So, yeah! Dad, your turn!

0 comments: